Tips for Building Capacity Within Your Group
What is capacity building within a community and what is its purpose?
Community capacity building is about promoting the capacity of local communities to develop, implement and sustain their own solutions to problems in a way that helps them shape and exercise control over their physical, social, economic and cultural environments.
What are some examples of building capacity?
- Building the skills and confidence of individuals and groups
- Enhancing community decision making and problem solving processes
- Creating a common vision for the future
- Implementing practical strategies for creating change
- Promoting inclusion and social justice
Real life examples:
- Members of your group attend One Omaha’s Neighborhood Leadership Academy to learn about the strategies needed to organize a volunteer-led group.
- Members of your group participate in a team meeting where you set a vision for the future of your group. Short and long term goals are made to help push your group in the right direction.
Tips for increasing capacity within your group
- Identify and recognize the strengths and assets you already have
- Be open and honest about the problems you seek to address
- Set realistic short and long term goals
- Take advantage of the resources and trainings available to you
- Build relationships with other community members
- Work collaboratively with other groups when possible
- Fundraise or apply for grants